Friday 4 May 2012

UK Barista Championships - Epilogue (Part Two)

Continued from UK Barista Championships - Epilogue (Part One)

Back to life. Back to reality.
So we're back from the dream sequence now. Almost two months have passed since the Glasgow heats, and just last weekend the UKBC semis and final took place. Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood was crowned UK Barista Champion 2012, and after having had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife Lesley, I was thrilled for them when the results were announced. Maxwell has an unflappable exterior, with a kind of  'Sandhurst' Britishness that will go down well in the World Championships in Vienna. Meanwhile I think Lesley wore her heart on her sleeve a little more, and it was by watching her during Maxwell's set (biting her nails and unable to look up from her feet), and seeing how hard she worked backstage in the prep area, that it became very obvious how diligently the two must have worked together to prepare for the competition. Maxwell's delivery was faultless. Well done guys.

What won it for them? Ultimately it was points. The scoresheets. You can be the best public speaker in the world, make the best espresso-based drinks ever tasted in your day job, and be the most knowledgeable barista on the planet, but if you can't translate all of that into points on that stage, on that day, you don't have a hope in hell of going further in the competition.  To win, you have to deliver what the judges are looking for, and the scoresheets are the gateway to doing that.

I've received my scoresheets for the Glasgow heat (16 March 2012)... all except the Head Judge sheet for some reason. I've read them, of course, but I'd like to go through them and put some thoughts down on this blog, to help me fully take in and learn from the feedback... and also to share the learnings with others so that we can all become better at what we're doing.

One thing I think is important... I have blanked out the judges' names, as I don't care who provided the feedback other than to give me a chance to say thank you for their time. A judge is a volunteer, and their task is thankless enough without having every competitor hounding them to justify their decisions. I don't agree with every decision made by individual judges, and I have had a few major concerns relating to aspects of the competition over the past months, but there is, I hope, a right and fair way to address this situation and I'll save my comments for that.

My Overall Score
My initial score (from 2 x technical judges, plus 4 x sensory judges) was 452.5, which was then reduced by 37 points due to my over-running by 37 seconds. Damn! So I scored 415.5 after that adjustment.  The 37 points gutted me. My own fault, of course. Anyway, here are my Technical Judge scoresheets. I'm actually ecstatic with them!

Technical Judge 1: http://www.box.com/s/49740337f3687001c556
Technical Judge 2: http://www.box.com/s/b54d279396253e2be865

Click below to enlarge images.
So... 69 out of 77, and 70 out of 77, and even a couple of sixes in there! That was lovely to see.
Some key points for next year:
1. I had considered having milk pre-weighed in metal flasks, and decided against it, opting just to pour from the Cravendale bottle as I hoped to show skill in knowing how much to fill the jug from sight. Next year I'll probably take the safe option and use a flask.
2. I need to purge the steam wand for longer.
3. Silly mistake, not noticing the grinder gate being closed. Oops!
4. I need to improve station management relating to used items eg milk jugs.
5. I need to work on a procedure that allows me to completely remove shot-time differences.

That will do for now. But with such nice Tech scores I guess I must have really cocked up on the Sensory side!

To be continued in UK Barista Championships - Epilogue (Part Three)

No comments:

Post a Comment