Thursday 21 April 2011

Is This The End Of Probe Thermometers?

I was reading coffeeforums.co.uk and saw a post about TempTags now being sold in the UK, after a successful period in Australia. The idea is they are more precise, hygienic and consistent than standard probe thermometers for steaming milk - so you milk is better, with less chance of burning etc.

I'm always a tough sell when it comes to new products that claim to be better, so Glenn from 5M Coffee sent me a sample in the post, and I decided to do a test by steaming some milk using a TempTag and all three of my probes (freshly calibrated for accuracy), in the same jug at the same time.

Here's a short vid of the results. In summary, after being initially sceptical about the need for an alternative to probe thermometers, or indeed their claims to be more precise, consistent and hygienic, I've been won over. My own tests revealed inconsistent readings across the different probes I have been using (I threw one probe away immediately!), and I also love the convenience of TempTags. No more calibration, less washing, infact it's a bit like that shampoo commercial..."Now I just Steam And Go!". A future area for product improvement that would be good for trainee baristas might be adding a second colour zone for when the milk temperature hits 100F, when stretching the milk should be stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment