Monday 18 April 2011

Hario V60 (02). My second try.

Brew Method: Pour Over
Brew Tool: Hario V60 (02)
Date: 16 April 2011

I'm hoping to spend some time with the experts at Artisan Roast in Glasgow. They have something called The Super V60 Club and it will really help me get a handle on tasting, brewing, describing flavours/aromas etc. In advance of that, here's an early crack at making coffee using the Hario V60. It wasn't elegant, and coffeegeeks will probably call it shambolic at best! But I'm not afraid of doing it wrong. There's no such thing as a 'natural' when it comes to this sort of thing :)


Follow up: As the water was flowing through too slowly on grinder setting 22 I changed it to 28 and tried again. The grinds were notably larger. Good news was that the grinds did start to bloom during pre-infusion, which they hadn't with the finer grind. Bad new is, this time I got 9oz (about 260ml) in only 2 minutes, so it was underextracted and had a slightly thin quality to it, both taste-wise and visually. Next time I'll split the difference on the grinder setting.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the video! Keep it up!

    I'm considering getting a V60 - what made you go for the plastic over the ceramic? Purely price?

    I've seen a couple of videos, you might want to check out the one at Square Mile - you can access it from jimseven.com, in the links at the botton right!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fran :)
    Yeah, it was completely price. I was thinking that if I like using it, I might quite fancy the white porcelain one later. But for now its just for experimenting with really.
    Thanks for the Square Mile advice! Will check it out for sure. Just ordered their Spring Espresso beans today.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does "bloom" mean? What should have happened?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. During blooming it looks like the grinds are expanding, bubbling up, a bit like when you first pour coke in a glass. I believe it's caused by the release of CO2, and chemical reactions between acids within the grinds. It will only happen with freshly roasted coffee though.
    Here's a good explanation of what to expect.
    http://cafefanatic.com/coffee/understanding-coffee-bloom/

    ReplyDelete